Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dishcloth Shawl

I was looking for a really simple shawl pattern, nothing fancy, just something to throw over my shoulders while in the recliner in the evenings to keep me cozy. I ran across a posting for a "Dishcloth Shawl" at Ravelry. All in the world it is is the diagonally knit dishcloth pattern just done in heavier yarn and with bigger needles. What genius! I've knit tons of those dishcloths and never once thought about using the same pattern to knit a triangular shawl. If you click here, you'll go to the original pattern listed on Ravelry. I think, however that I might prefer the slightly different "Idiot's Dishcloth" pattern, which would go like this:

  • CO4
  • k 1 row
  • Next row, k2, yo, k2
  • Next row, k2, yo, k to end of row
  • Repeat the [k2, yo, k to end of row] until the shawl is the size desired

I've not knit this yet, but I have a sack full of acrylic yarn that's just taking up space. I think I'll try double-stranding it and make myself a shawl. I'll let you know how it turns out when I finally get around to doing it. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I use a similar pattern for knitting community shawls. When I get close to the top of the shawl, I try to gauge when I have 3 rows of yarn left. I will do the first row as knit 2, and then I will yo, k2tog across the whole row. This gives a matching edge of holes to match the other two sides of the triangle. Then the last two rows I just knit straight across. This mimics the first 2 stitches of each row that you did before the yo's. That way all three edges are similar, and you don't need any other finishing.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete